I started doing some research after reading all the comments on my last post, and then I started reading the lovely Lauren's posts over at Magnify the Lord With Me. She has started a series discussing her research on the food we put into our bodies, and her information is fantastic!
Last week, I was saying, "I will NOT spend $6 a gallon on organic milk!"
This week, I am saying, "If the health benefits are worth it, maybe I am willing to spend the extra money on lightly pasteurized non homogenized milk from grass fed cows from a local dairy..."
I have even softened on my stance about raw milk, but I'm still a little bit unsure especially being pregnant.
I am also sold that buying farm fresh eggs is much healthier than the store brand eggs that I have confidently purchased, consumed, and fed to my children for years now. My only question on this would be, is it possible to get farm eggs in the winter months?
I am going to buy a Butter Bell crock to replace my Land O' Lakes spreadable butter, and I will be looking into natural butter made from grass fed sweet cream.
We are more than likely going to be purchasing a chest freezer and buying bulk beef straight from the farmer, which turns out to be more economical and just better tasting than supermarket beef.
I even made my own blackberry jam today! It is so yummy! I will devote a post to this later this week hopefully. :) I also plan to go pick strawberries as soon as the fields open at the end of this week. Then it will be round two of jam making for a little variety! :)
I have also developed a curiosity about Sew's deodorant recipe. If it's actually in a stick form, I might be willing to try it. It's the idea of slinging straight baking soda into my arm pits that sits squarely outside my comfort zone. :)

Megan, I am def. with you in the middle ground. I was so bummed to finally see that TLC show "extreme couponing"...I thought I might learn something. Though I am pro-saving money and coupons, those ladies were just buying junk (frozen pizzas and soda and a bunch of other stuff I don't even want). I don't buy organic because I DO think it's a rip-off. 'Sorry girls! You should know that none of my kids are "husky" or have started early puberty. Instead I just focus on healthy cooking and trying to keep the Coco Puffs out of the house (I NEVER buy sugared cereal). We always have a lot of fruit around - my kids go through apples like water. And portion control - I serve up plates at the counter and we have snack bowls (no one sits around eating with a BAG of anything). I'm curious about the "granola" stuff too but (like Cathy said) I want to choose it because it's better, not because I'm scared of the other stuff. A little winded tonight I guess...that's all.
ReplyDeleteI might have to buy a butter bell now because in this summer heat my counter butter is melting! Thanks for the link!
ReplyDeleteI need a butter bell crock, I absolutely hate my butter dish.
ReplyDeleteThe recipe for the deo is 1/3 cco oil, 1/3 baking soda, 1/3 corn startch, melt cco oil in a glass jar in water...Make sense? :) Then add cs & bs, stir.
I did empty out one of my secret tubes and put it in that. I want to buy the empty stick containers but haven't gotten around to it. They are cheap but I don't need 10 empty stick containers. ?? ;) But I still smell my secret and I just don't like it, but it's well for now....
When I was slinging bs under my arms I was spicy. This doesn't make you spicy. ;)
slow changes over time can be good and won't stress you or your budget out too much. that is my motto!
ReplyDeleteIt won't let me sign in...weird...It's Lauren at Magnify the Lord!
ReplyDeleteOH my gosh! This was so fun to read! It made me grin ear to ear! :) I even read parts of it to my hubby. :)
YOu know...you can always go back. I started this like a grand experiment and have loved it so much, I'm hooked! Some things I'm still experimenting with- and have more to try int he future. One step at a time....
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE GOING TO TRY THE DEODERANT!!!!!!! And SEW is going to buy LIVER! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA ladies!!!! Never say never, eh? :)
Oh no, we've lost you to the dark side! Haha.. totally kidding ;)
ReplyDeleteIt's funny you posted this today though because the one thing we were doing - homemade laundry detergent - we had to stop using yesterday. Our clothes were just not getting clean.
Danya, I agree about the extreme couponers! It has inspired me to clip coupons for products we use and then try to buy them on sale. However, I refuse to stockpile like they do! Also, I am not buying cat food if I don't own a cat! yikes...
ReplyDeleteSew, thanks for the recipe. Where do you get the coconut oil from? And how much water do you melt it in? I haven't used it before. When my Dove runs out, I may just give this a whirl. If I don't like it, I can go back, right?! :)
Lauren, you are cracking me up! :) I totally agree with you about one step at a time.
AYWH, haha! Don't worry, I'm not going to cut out all processed foods. :) I just think that making small changes might be doable for our family at this point. I'm impressed that you tried making your own laundry detergent. That is one thing I probably won't be doing. I really like being able to get stains out of our clothes, and I love my Tide! :)
Nevermind, Sew! I just reread your comment, and I understand! You don't add water to the actual oil, you just use warm water around jar of the solid oil to melt it, right?
ReplyDeleteJust to not make myself seem more motivated than I am, I should add that we were given the detergent :) I am very intimidated by the thought of making anything!
ReplyDeletemelt the co in a pan on the stove, then add the cs and bs. It works!
ReplyDeleteIt's all Greek to me, but I did like it when Danya gave me some of her fresh chicken eggs!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm totally with AYWH and Leila on this one! But a neighbor has chickens and has given me eggs. They're good, but I don't stress about this stuff! :)
ReplyDelete