Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Kids Are All Right?

I saw a commercial for this movie today, and I was just annoyed. If this isn't an attempt to normalize the "modern family", then I don't know what is. There is just so much wrong with this...

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi381421337/

When Annette Bening's character incredulously says, "As if we're not enough?!" I sat there and thought, "actually no, you're not." Children need a father in their lives! The role of a father just cannot be replaced!

Also, notice the movie critic quotes... the "best" one is, "It charms audiences into a state of enlightenment."

Sigh. Yes, those of us who feel strongly about preserving traditional marriage, are obviously simpletons who just need to be enlightened... ugh.

So, thoughts?


Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I just finished 'one man, one woman' ---- everyone should read that in my opinion!!! It made me on fire about this topic- to the point that I'm considering writing a book about that and a lot of things. I'm scared for the future, but so glad there are others with the same point of view who can stand up for what's right!!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing --- in that book, there are interviews with the children from these types of situations who are now grown up...and they all say "we weren't okay, we're not okay" basically. Just thought I'd add that point!..Children are not an experiment or just something you "get when you want it" like a toy. :( One of the biggest points was that just because parents want kids doesn't mean it's the best thing for the children - and since children don't choose to be born/choose to be with certain parents, their feelings and well-being have to be considered by the adults before their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I'm taking over the comments section :), but maybe just MAYBE this movie will point out all the confusion and complications that come from trying to manipulate "family"??? maybe! I am really an optimist, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That just made me so, so sad. Where to even begin with all that was wrong with that??

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It charms audiences into a state of enlightenment"??!!! Are you kidding me? *urp*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catching up here... ummm.. I am confused by watching this. Like, my head hurts. I think it brings up some valid issues that need to be brought up in these situations but I get the sense it glosses over the actual answers to the questions to paint a "Life is complex but that's okay as long as we all resolve our differences" type picture in the end. Sorry no... sometimes life IS complex and takes hard work but all outcomes are not equal. Everyone hugging at the end of the movie does not mean true resolution has taken place and wrongs have been righted.

    The title of the movie implies that the kids are the least confused of the bunch (when studies show they are prob the most confused in real life). Did you see that recent study showing "donor kids" have real issues? They're not "all right." Sheesh. I hope when people watch this, instead of becoming more um "enlightened" they will feel, deep in their gut, that something is off here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, I did see that study actually, and it makes so much sense. It is just awful that a political agenda is ignoring the research to promote it's own end. It's definitely not the first time...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! I love comments. :)