To be honest, while I recognize the growth that is occurring from this, it is still a burden at this point, and I was talking to a good friend of mine about this, and she told me that it shouldn't be a burden, that it should be a happy beautiful thing that you do as a couple. I agree that it is supposed to be that way, but that is so much easier said than done!
We have been married for three years, and the self control/discipline area of our sexuality has been out of practice for almost the entire three years! So the last six weeks have been extremely challenging! We have been arguing more and had our fair share of snippy moments... but thankfully they are always short lived, and I'm confident that God is using this to bring more balance into our marriage.
We started our relationship as friends for 4 years before it developed any type of romantic element, and so we have the necessary foundation, but since we've been married, we haven't really had a need to separate the romantic love and the friendship love. It has always been fluid and intertwined.
So for my birthday, Bill took the day off of work, and after spending the day together, we dropped the girls off to family overnight. Having the whole night to ourselves, we went out to a local pizza place and ordered a medium pizza and a bucket of beers.

We spent the next 2 and half hours eating, drinking, and having a wonderful conversation about everything but our kids and day to day business. We laughed and laughed and laughed... suddenly we stopped focusing on the restrictions that had been slowly overwhelming us and refocusing more on each other.
After we had finished our beers, we walked hand in hand to Starbucks, ordered coffee and talked some more! Then, when we were leaving, we were standing at the corner waiting to cross the street, and we passed a group of girls out for a bachelorette party. They stopped right behind us, and I turned around and asked the bride when the date was. It was in three weeks, and I congratulated her and said, "Married life is wonderful." Despite all the challenges, I meant every word, and I feel so blessed to be married to such a wonderful man.
My cycle has just been wonky and understandably so, but I am seeing a mucus pattern that makes me think my body might be figuring itself out! So perhaps we might only have to abstain for a maximum of 14 days rather than 20 or 25...
I am so thankful for the Creighton Model, and I know that God has been using this to create in me an even greater respect for His Church and the Catholic understanding of sexuality. It is so beautiful!
Thank you, God for the stress of abstinence. Thank you for all the times that I felt overwhelmed. Thank you for all the tears of frustration I shed after seeing two dry days followed by more peak type mucus on day 17 of abstinence... Thank you God for cultivating a spirit of abandonment within me. Thy will be done.
Wow, this is a beautiful thing to read! I am so impressed and happy for you... God is there, even in the times of struggle, and He is always showering His grace upon those who love him!
ReplyDeleteThis post is so encouraging to read! Thanks for sharing all the ups and downs. Honestly, this seems like a "good" challenge. Some couples write me saying they have totally lost the romance... it is great that you have so much attraction for each other plus a great friendship! What a gift!
ReplyDeleteI just wish I could say that these 30 weeks of abstinence for us were handled with similar grace, or at least that we had come to some wonderful conclusion and peace and grown closer. We have not. We just are existing and go through moments of bicker and then back to avoiding the topic.I would prefer all the abstinence at least helped us work on self control and bear fruit, but dh and I are not on the same page so I think he is making it harder on himself than it has to be. it seems we are just trying to survive the time and not overcome the sin in ourselves. I guess that is one way to do it, lol. Please keep us in your prayers. This is the 2nd pregnancy we've had to do this and dh is seriously not sure when or if he wants a 3rd as a result. :( I will pray the rest of your time avoiding is equally as fruitfaul as your recent date night.
ReplyDeleteI really loved this post and found it SO SO SO encouraging. You have been most generous and sweet with your comments to me... I really can't thank you enough!
ReplyDeleteI have to update my blog sidebar... youll be on there soon!
Many blessings!!!
Oh Megan! Thank you so much for sharing your heart, trials and joys on this post! I loved reading it- and the title was perfect! (Definitely had my interest peaked!)
ReplyDeleteAnd WR? Praying for you.
I know I'm hormonal, but I just teared up reading about your date night. You SO deserved that!
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree with Sarah. You and your husband are still so attracted to each other that you can't stand the wait. What a good problem to have!
Girl, I feel your pain. Postpartum fertility "wondering" is NOT a selling point for NFP. It's the pits, and don't be surprised if you hear I'm pregnant again soon, after playing Russian roulette, NFP-style! Betty Duffy has one of the funniest posts about this very topic, and she suggests wearing a hijab. I may be making an investment in full-body armor if the crazy cycles continue. :-). You're not alone!!
ReplyDeleteI teared up reading this too! So freakin' sweet! It's like you're dating again. Well, you'll never take sex for granted after this aye? I agree with Sarah that it's so wonderful that you really WANT to be together! It IS a gift afterall...and so is lots of beer. WR, prayin' for you too, and hopefully, like childbirth, your hubs will forget all about the pain of abstaining afterward! HA!
ReplyDelete