Tuesday, September 21, 2010

But you're married!

Okay, I am going to go there, friends... Let's talk marital chastity...

When we were a dating couple, I heard over and over again that chastity in dating is extremely important for many reasons, but one of those reasons is that it was preparing us for marital chastity which we were told was much more difficult.

Our young minds could not grasp this as we thought, how on earth could it be more difficult than months and then years or remaining chaste and pure?

Um yes, folks, it is true, marital chastity is MUCH more difficult! Oh how naive we were...

So now after three years of marriage where we pretty much threw caution to the wind, we are having to stretch our chastity legs, and let me just say that they have severely atrophied...

As I mentioned in this post, NFP has been challenging for us as we have been dealing with irregular mucus patterns and what has seemed like endless abstinence. I don't think I have ever been so excited to see AF come around to give us a short reprieve... So yes, we abstained for an entire month! (I know that there are those of you out there who have abstained/are abstaining for much much longer, and you are in my prayers.)

It was an extremely long month, and while we definitely grew in our marriage, there were still plenty of moments where we felt like two year old children stomping our feet and crying. :(
And we spent many moments reminding ourselves of the Catholic teaching on marital chastity. We even sat down together and read the Catechism for reinforcement while at the same time searching and hoping for a loophole...

Now the teaching of the Catholic Church on human sexuality is absolutely profound and beautiful, and it is crystal clear!

2361 "Sexuality, by means of which man and woman give themselves to one another through the acts which are proper and exclusive to spouses, is not something simply biological, but concerns the innermost being of the human person as such. It is realized in a truly human way only if it is an integral part of the love by which a man and woman commit themselves totally to one another until death."143

::pausing to soak in the beauty and wisdom...::

Okay, so sex has two purposes, unitive and pro creative, and any separation of these two translates into use, and as John Paul II said, this is the exact opposite of love.

2363 The spouses' union achieves the twofold end of marriage: the good of the spouses themselves and the transmission of life. These two meanings or values of marriage cannot be separated without altering the couple's spiritual life and compromising the goods of marriage and the future of the family.

2366 ...So the Church, which is "on the side of life,"151 teaches that "it is necessary that each and every marriage act remain ordered per se to the procreation of human life."152 "This particular doctrine, expounded on numerous occasions by the Magisterium, is based on the inseparable connection, established by God, which man on his own initiative may not break, between the unitive significance and the procreative significance which are both inherent to the marriage act."153

"...each and every marriage act...." So to put it bluntly, oral sex or any type of rubbing so to speak that does not end in sex is not okay because it separates the unitive aspect from the pro creative aspect.

This friends, is not an easy thing to do! Is it worth it? Yes, God's plan for sexuality is always worth it, but that doesn't mean it is easy...

It is also not talked about very much, and few Catholics these days even understand the Church's teaching on contraception let alone marital chastity. It is very counter cultural even in Christian circles.

For example, I was expressing my frustrations with our recent abstinence to my very dear friend who is a devout Protestant. And as she was listening to me whine, she said, "So, Megan, let me make sure I'm hearing you right... You're saying that unless it is foreplay, anything except the actual act of sex is out of the question?"

When I affirmed that this is indeed what I was saying, she said, "But you're married.... so why is that wrong?"

I went on to further explain the Church's teaching, and she understood where I was coming from, but I could tell that this concept rocked her boat, and she had never thought that there was anything wrong with oral sex within marriage.

The she said, "So, Bill is okay with this? Are you on the same page?" And then I realized that she was imagining me as this prudish wife who wasn't fulfilling her duty to her husband... sigh... so close yet worlds apart...

So is this "crazy" teaching worth it? Yes.

Is there a loophole? No.

Is it difficult? Absolutely!

Are we perfect? Nope...

Are we striving for holiness? Yes.

Do we believe that the Catholic teaching on sexuality is the best way to strive for holiness in our marriage? Without a doubt.

So take courage and believe:

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13.





Photobucket

28 comments:

  1. What a gutsy post! Thank you for putting it all out there! So many people have questions and misunderstandings, and this was a great way to familiarize people with the little-known concept of marital chastity!

    Thank you for your witness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,
    I LOVE that you God has been working on your heart and your marriage through this cross! You are one who researches the topic yourself when you want to know what the Church really teaches on faith and morals, and now you have shared this info with so many people out there through this posting. Good for you! Way to spread our Faith!!!
    Praying for you,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Wow. First, thanks for your honesty. And second, thanks for your clear explanation of the Church's teachings and your willingness to live them out!

    I can also totally relate to the whole "worlds apart" thing with fellow Christians. Sigh.

    Also, as an almost-married, I do have to say... I *totally* believe certain types of chastity are more difficult in marriage. In fact, I've noticed that the advice to have a shorter engagement to preserve chastity is often given by married couples ;). For years, I could not quite figure out why married couples had so little faith in my ability to stay chaste haha. Fiance and I are not prudes, and we would love to "go there", but we are well-practiced at never, never, never going there! Ever! It's so clear cut when you are not married - Ain't. Gonna. Happen. I know marriage will change things. (And of course, some singles struggle more outside of marriage than others!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post, Megan. LOVE and applaud your honesty. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry. I really don't understand the absinence thing. Why is it a part of NFP?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this post! And I LOVE your honesty! DH and I had to completely abstain for almost 5 months. YUP! Five whole months! I was discussing it with a dear friend but you could tell there was no way she understood why we had to "totally" abstain. I think she thinks Catholics are all prudes...of course not the case. She had the same reaction... "but you're married!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous,
    No need to apologize! I'm glad you asked. :) Natural family planning involves utilizing a woman's natural periods of fertility and infertility to achieve or avoid a pregnancy.
    Due to a medical issue, we have to avoid pregnancy for 6 months, and to do this, we need to abstain during the fertile part of my cycle. Typically, it is not difficult to determine when a woman is fertile, but I have had some irregular patterns lately that have required us to abstain to be on the "safe side."
    Feel free to leave a comment if you have any other questions or email me at heartofstmonica@gmail.com. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an honest, open, TRUE post. NFP is NOT easy (except when you're trying to get pregnant or already are...) during certain UN-certain times of a woman's life (hello, 10 months postpartum!) and when you have to abstain for health reasons (medications, unsafe to become pregnant, etc). It's trying and frustrating and horrible in general, unfortunately, at those times, and it makes me ever more aware of how important sex is, and how it is such an integral part of marriage. In so many ways, I think it's worse for the man. Biologically, they're hardwired differently, and for a man who remained chaste until his wedding night, to ask him to just "keep waiting" a month... 2 months... more... is tough.

    Thanks for writing about this. It's so nice to know that others are going through this time of uncertainty, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow that must be hard, like you said. Very interesting. I am going to research NFP because I think I'd like to start practicing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And Amen to what Sarah pointed out:

    It's so clear cut when you are not married - Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

    That's so true, and it can be a rude awakening to discover that even after all that waiting, there are LONG periods of time where it ain't gonna happen, unfortunately for both parties involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this post!! Seriously...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, so all I had to read was "crazy mucus patterns" and I had to jump on this post!!! Are you charting Creighton Model?? I ask because a) I have clients who came to me from another NFP who had the most crazy mucus patterns EVER, and their NFP was THE most similar one to Creighton... but after switching and learning essential sameness, they were able to successfully manage their charts and abstain as they desired for 1 full year before deciding to try to achieve. (They achieved on their first cycle of trying, by the way, so they were definately of "normal" fertility!) - and b) with Creighton/NaPro, if there are serious reasons to be avoiding pregnancy and you are able to go get bloodwork on a cyclical basis, they can help you get a P+3 progesterone level to ascertain whether or not you have definately passed ovulation. If so, then you have a good week and 1/2 of good ol' fashioned fun, no matter what kind of mucus you've got :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you again for an amazing honest and insightful post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok - So I understand the fact that you must abstain because of medical issues and you should not become pregnant - however; why can't you partake in foreplay? Oral sex and other activities do not compromise your future family. I still don't understand... I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And... I know this is going to come off very wrong in this forum, however it is an honest question - if sex is for the union of spouses and procreation - why is it holy for infertile couples to have intercourse? Oral sex has the same chance of making a baby as two sterile humans, right?

    And couldnt "each and every marriage act" include things like: sleeping in the same bed, living under the same roof, and other normal things married couples did in Jesus's and our time?

    ReplyDelete
  16. TCIE, thanks for your comment! We are using Creighton, and we recently switched to it from the Sympto thermal. We are learning the essential sameness rule now, and I'm hopeful because I can definitely tell a significant change in my mucus around ovulation.
    Interesting about the blood work! I actually do have to get blood work every month anyway for monitoring to make sure my hcg levels aren't rising. I wonder if I could just go in at the right time and have them test for my progesterone levels as well. Can they do that at a regular OB office?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent post Megan!

    And Anonymous, we appreciate your honest questions here! To answer just one of your questions, oral sex and intercourse are different because with oral sex there is NO chance a pregnancy could result. But with two "sterile people", there is a still a chance that it could happen. Even a couple who has been told that they could NEVER conceive, can be the recipients of a miracle. But we have to cooperate in that miracle, by having intercourse of course. Oral sex=NEVER result in pregnancy (and thus is NEVER open to life) Iintercourse=COULD result in a pregnancy, no matter how small a chance.

    Oral sex and intercourse are also vastly different in the way the spouses are giving themselves to each other. Obviously, only one spouse climaxes during oral sex. But with intercourse, it is a MUTUAL giving of your complete. You give your complete self to your spouse as he gives his complete self to you. You fully receive and fully give at the same time. With oral sex, you are either just the "giver" or just the "receiver". This is how intercourse between a COMPLETELY sterile couple (ex-woman who has had her uterus removed due to cancer) would still be "holy". It is still a complete gift of both spouses MUTUALLY.

    I hope that helped. I types it out once and the internet messed up. I don't think I said it as well the second time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kaitlin - you said it very well. Thanks for clearing it up. It makes sense and it really is interesting how many people aren't aware of that or have never even heard that as a Catholic or Christian belief, including myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous #1, I'm glad you are asking questions!
    Thanks for responding, Kaitlin, I couldn't have said it better myself!

    Anonymous #2, feel free to email me if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this post! Thanks for being so open and honest Megan. You rock. I've told you that before but it's so true I had to say it again ;)

    I've been reading "Good News about Sex and Marriage" and it has cleared up a lot of this for me. I think everyone should read it!!! :) It's sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, great post and comments! Anonymous, I agree that "Good News About Sex and Marriage" by Christopher West would be a GREAT resource for you to understand the questions you probably have. (Great answer, Kaitlin!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the post! As a couple with years and years of IF under our belts, we really have never had to abstain. (HA! One benefit of IF.) I think that will change now...perhaps I can learn from you...keep posting on chastity sister...great subject!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just wanted to say that I love this post and especially love the comments!!!! I just bought 3 copies of the Good News book for 3 friends. YEA for discerning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Megan! I recently found your blog. I look forward to reading more. This post is so great. I teach CrMS like TCIE, and I wish all my clients would turn to the Catechism for support when abstinence is difficult! (even when it's just for a week at a time...) And I will be the fourth person to recommend Christopher West's Good News book to Anonymous. That book changed my life! I need to buy a new one because I just gave mine away...it's that good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just read this post-nicely done! I love the honesty and I love the comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I will definitely get the book. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is perfect. My fiance is Catholic and I want to learn more about his faith for him and myself... and thinking about doing RCIA... getting on amazon now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. -plugging my ears and squeezing my eyes shut- lalalalalalala I'm not listeninggggg...
    Sigh. I just started charting, and my carnal self is not so happy to discover that I am Fertile Myrtle and will be abstaining quite a bit once I'm married. :D Honestly that was the hardest thing to accept in my conversion process! Whoever the patron saint of hormones is, pray for us!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! I love comments. :)