I met with my Creighton Model FertilityCare Practitioner aka my NFP teacher on Sunday, and I came out skipping!
I now have yellow stamps!!!!
For those of you who aren't familiar with the Creighton Model, at your first meeting you get your own snazzy chart with lots of boxes on it. You also get different colored stickers to help record your observations. Red stickers indicate days of bleeding during your period or random break through days of bleeding; White stickers with little babies on them indicate peak type or fertile mucus; light green stickers with little babies on them represent days of drying up after the last day of peak type mucus; and plain green stickers indicate days of dryness before the presence of peak type mucus early in the cycle or after drying up post peak or after ovulation.
In a perfect world, things would always be textbook, and my mucus pattern would look normal. However, since I am still nursing Lucy, my pattern is all over the map. As I mentioned in this post , we abstained for the entire month last month because I had peak type mucus the entire time! If you looked at my chart, it was a solid wall of white baby stickers with two green baby stickers right before my period. Let me tell you, it was frustrating...
So when I met with my teacher on Sunday, we were able to sit down and determine when my mucus was estrogen related mucus aka the mucus related to ovulation. And let me just say:
The human body is AMAZING! God knew exactly what He was doing when he designed a woman's body.
It was so blatantly obvious on my chart when I had ovulated because the mucus was so different for a few days, and we were able to determine that all those white baby stickers and peak type mucus at the end of my cycle were basically irrelevant! So now I get to put yellow stickers on my chart instead of white ones, and our abstinence time just got cut in half!!
The next step will be to determine the significance of my pre peak mucus since it is starting on cycle day 5, and this cycle for example, I didn't ovulate until day 16 of what will likely be a 30 day cycle.
Have I mentioned that I love the Creighton Model? ;) It is so specific and detailed and scientific!
I have at least a few friends who use the Sympto Thermal method of NFP (it uses basal body temperature, mucus, and cervix softness/openness to determine fertility) which is what we started learning during our engagement, but I never really got the hang of it, and it was difficult for me to chart while nursing for various reasons. It is a very good model for some people, and it is very effective as well, but it wasn't the right fit for us.
When I start talking to friends about the Creighton Model, the first response is that I often get from women is that their mucus pattern is irregular so a mucus only model just wouldn't work for them.
I think this is the most common misconception about Creighton. The beauty of it is that it can work with all mucus patterns, and often, if a mucus pattern is irregular, it is a sign that something is out of balance that may even be affecting their fertility! And since Creighton is connected to NaPro Technology, the tools are right at their fingertips for addressing and correcting any fertility issues that arise!
Advocates for chemical contraceptives often go on about how women have been liberated since the introduction of the pill.
This lie has been shoved down women's throats for too long!
True freedom comes with understanding our bodies and our fertility, and when necessary taking steps to make us as healthy as we can be!
::stepping down off my soap box::
Happy Tuesday!
St. Monica, pray for us!

Glad you are having success with Creighton. I really like it too! Of course, the NaPro baby who is kicking me right now is really nice perk from my Creighton experience!
ReplyDeleteI'm right there with you! Creighton is AWESOME! I am so glad dh was listening to Catholic Answers Live one day when Dr. Hildgers was on there talking about it. It is so much more liberating to know what your body is dong and why! I used to think NFP was the rhythm method. Haha! How wrong I was! :)
ReplyDeleteIn the beginning of my charting I had the most wonky charts! I had about 15 red stickers (all in a row...as in a 15 day period), followed by a sea of white stickers then followed by 2-4 more red stickers for TEBB it was a mess! Thanks to Creighton and Napro I started on PIO and then HCG and my chart went to textbook perfect! I went from 15 red to 5! In all my life I've never had a period that short! I also went down to 6-8 white stickers meaning I actually got to use some green ones! It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen!
I really like the last sentence of your post:
ReplyDelete"True freedom comes with understanding our bodies and our fertility, and when necessary taking steps to make us as healthy as we can be!"
Now that's awesome!
oh man, i've been charting with creighton for about 5 months now and while i love and teach sympto-thermal, which i think is more than sufficient for the regular person with normal variations, creighton really does seem to be better for tailoring to the individual with "special circumstances", such as breast-feeding and sub-fertility. thanks for sharing your experiences!
ReplyDeleteYou've inspired me, Megan... I'm going to finally look in Creighton, because NFP while nursing is not working for us now. We've had WAY too many "white sticker" days lately. ;-)
ReplyDeleteYay for yellow stamps! I LOVE CREIGHTON!!! Praise the Lord:) I have learned so much about my body that I just want to preach it to the world! If only our priests would encourage it (NFP) in the masses...the word would get out so much better!!
ReplyDeleteAgree 99.9%-I just would add (b/c I am still on my soap box) that even though Symptothermal works for many, those same folks would get same or BETTER from Creighton and its easier :) But then, I crazy love Creighton and I am sad for those folks with regular sympto charts who have IF, and then chart Creighton and can't believe it is a simple prog issue or something similar...so glad I went straight to Creighton. It could have easily been the other way around.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! And I agree with Miss G on the last sentence- so true!! What a blessing Creighton is...we use sympto-thermal NFP, but after learning how helpful Creighton is (especially in relation to using NaPro), I wish we had learned Creighton!! Glad it's working so well for you!
ReplyDeleteOK you just inspired me to get a new practitioner here RIGHT NOW! (I've been charting and I went to PPVI a couple weeks ago, but I still haven't found someone to go to regularly as a practitioner to help with my charting!)
ReplyDeleteI'm a yellow girl too! I was going to ask you why you weren't using yellow stamps. So glad you are liking Creighton
ReplyDeleteI'll bet yellow is your hubs favorite color too now!
ReplyDeleteI'm the QUEEN of yellow stamps! Praise God for them-they are gonna save your marriage ;) (or at least your sanity!)
ReplyDeleteOK I'm convinced. Looking up Creighton and switching from Sympto-Thermal. That will mean I've done Sympto-thermal, billings AND Creighton. That's just the kind of well-roundedness I like to have! :)
ReplyDeleteYEAAAAAAAAAA for YELLOW!!!!!!!
THANKS for this.... really... thank you!
ReplyDeleteI've been reading the IF blogs for years now and been hearing about Creighton. I'd even researched different methods before I started blogging, back in college... but I've never seen it all written out so clearly.
THANKS! And go you!!
Oh I fear yellow stamps! I'm such a bad charter!
ReplyDeleteI agree though Creighton charting is the easiest to read and do!
And I love the last sentence as well....I even wrote a post on it when I actually saw my body orchestrate so beautifully what it was to do.....
Ahhh the hidden messages he sends us! :) I love it and your soap box!
Yay! I am loving Creighton so far too! I am glad to hear you were able to figure out what to do with your charts.
ReplyDelete